Monday, April 13, 2015


J.M.J. One of my favorite Saints and Popes is he who is on the Roman Calendar today: Saint Martin I, Pope and Martyr. His Pontificate began in 649 and went until 654. Pope Saint Eugene I (654-657) was elected in 654 because Pope Saint Martin had been captured and later exiled. Pope Saint Martin died in 655.

Why do I like Pope Saint Martin I so much? One special reason: because he presided over the Lateran Council of 649 that affirmed Our Lady's Perpetual Virginity. The Third Canon of the Lateran Council states:


If anyone, in conformity with the Holy Fathers, 
does not confess that Mary Immaculate, 
actually and truthfully is the Holy Mother of God 
and Ever Virgin, inasmuch as she conceived Him, 
Who is uniquely and truly God,--
the Word born of God the Father from all eternity, 
in these latter times of the Holy Spirit without seed, 
and bore Him without any corruption, 
her virginity remaining also intact after His Birth, 
let him be condemned.


Our Lord Jesus Christ, Who is Divine Mercy, have mercy on us.

Holy Mary, Virgin before, during and after the Birth of Jesus, pray for us.

Saint Joseph, Chaste Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary, pray for us.

Saint Martin I, Defender of Our Lady's Perpetual Virginity, pray for us.

Saint Eugene I, Successor to Saint Martin I, pray for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment