J.M.J. The Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary combines both commons prayers that we know and the meditation on the various events in the lives of Jesus Christ and Mary. Although disarmingly simple, the Rosary is profound in its meaning and effect. It is as if you and I really participate in those occurrences while the Son and His Mother walked this earth and later reached Heaven.
No one can rightly discount the incredible spiritual riches that are bestowed upon those who faithfully recite the Holy Rosary and upon those for whom we pray.
Two Dominicans, Saint Dominic (circa 1170-1221) and Blessed Alan de la Roche (circa 1428-1475), are associated with what has become known as the “Fifteen Promises” entrusted to them by Our Lady.
1. To all those who shall pray my Rosary devoutly, I promise my special protection and great graces.
2. Those who shall persevere in the recitation of my Rosary will receive some special grace.
3. The Rosary will be a very powerful armor against Hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin and dispel heresy.
4. The Rosary will make virtue and good works flourish, and will obtain for souls the most abundant divine mercies. It will draw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
5. Those who trust themselves to me through the Rosary will not perish.
6. Whoever recites my Rosary devoutly reflecting on the Mysteries, shall never be overwhelmed by misfortune. He will not experience the anger of God nor will he perish by an unprovided death. The sinner will be converted; the just will persevere in grace and merit eternal life.
7. Those truly devoted to my Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.
8. Those who are faithful to recite my Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces and will share in the merits of the blessed.
9. I will deliver promptly from Purgatory souls devoted to my Rosary.
10. True children of my Rosary will enjoy great glory in Heaven.
11. What you shall ask through my Rosary you shall obtain.
12. To those who propagate my Rosary I promise aid in all their necessities.
13. I have obtained from my Son that all the members of the Rosary Confraternity shall have as their intercessors, in life and in death, the entire Celestial Court.
14. Those who recite my Rosary faithfully are my beloved children, the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ.
15. Devotion to my Rosary is a special sign of predestination.
As we call upon God for an increase in vocations to the Priesthood and the Consecrated Life, we take up this straightforward prayer—the Most Holy Rosary—and ask Our Blessed Lord to answer us through the intercession of Our Blessed Lady.