“What have you done with me? But, Totus Tuus”: Monday, April 20, 2020


J.M.J.


From He Liked Tuesdays The Most by Archbishop Mieczysław Mokrzycki (Krakow: M Publishing House 2008)

THE POPE (John Paul II) WAKES UP AFTER SURGERY AND….



– And he can not speak, he is weak.  With a gesture, he asks us for a piece of paper and a pen.  He is writing something.  We are reading it: “What have you done with me? But, Totus Tuus
– “But” was also on a piece of paper?
– Yes.  I remember when I saw this text, at first I couldn’t believe that the Holy Father was writing something like this as I took it as an accusation.  Why? What did you do with me?  Before the operation, we told him that everything will be okay.  I thought, the Holy Father now has regrets that we have urged him.  I was sad.  I still could not believe it, as the Holy Father had never said anything like this before.  He never did anything like that before.  And, then I saw the other words: “But, Totus Tuus”.  And that explained everything to me.  Then, everything was clear.
– How did the Holy Father behave then? Did he try to write something else? Did he try to tell you something?
– He had trouble speaking, he could not speak.  So there were only greeting gestures, gestures that the operation took place here.  He was pointing to a tube.  And, he prayed.  We prayed together – Rosary, breviary, litanies.  We were celebrating together a holy Mass by the bed.
– Did he suffer a lot?
– These were difficult moments, as the Holy Father had to learn to eat all over again. And it was not easy, as he had a tube in his trachea.  It was hurting him.  Besides that, it was necessary to practice the voice so that he could speak at least a little.  He practiced with a speech therapist.  I know that these exercises were painful for him too.
– Nevertheless, he went to the window of the clinic three times to greet the faithful…
– Twice on the Angelus prayer, once during the general audience on Wednesday, March 9th (2005). He did not say anything, but he blessed.  And, then he even smiled a little.

www.fjp2.com



No comments:

Post a Comment