A Few Memories of Mother Teresa, Who Was Totally Consecrated to Mary: Thursday, July 7, 2016 (The Holy Year of Mercy)


J.M.J. I met Mother Teresa several times when I was studying Canon Law in Rome from 1992 until 1994, having been assigned by the Most Reverend Paul V. Dudley, D.D.

I was asked to celebrate Mass, hear Confessions and teach classes to the Missionaries of Charity in several of their Convents throughout Rome (San Gregorio; Primavalle; Via Casilina; Dono di Maria).

Many of the American priests studying in Rome were asked to do the same.

Mother Teresa came to Rome to see her Sisters, be present for their Temporary and Perpetual Professions and have audiences with Pope John Paul II.

I remember that once she went to the Pontifical Gregorian University where I was a student and spoke to the students in the Hall there.

She spoke English as did all the Missionaries of Charity.

I celebrated Mass in her presence and distributed Holy Communion to her. She knelt and sat on the floor just as the other Sisters. She sought no privileges.

When the Laity heard that she would be present at the 6:30 a.m. Mass at the Convent at San Gregorio, they packed the small Chapel before 6:00 a.m. After Mass, Mother Teresa would hand each person a Miraculous Medal. She smiled but said little.

One day, I was asked to hear the Confessions of the Novices in the Convent at San Gregorio. When I was leaving, I noticed that Mother Teresa was in the hallway. No one else was around. She walked towards me and said, "Father, thank you for coming to hear the Confessions of our Sisters." Then, she took my hand and touched each finger as she said,: "Father, remember this: I will . . . I want . . . with God's help . . . be . . . holy. Father, never forget that."

Monsignor John J. McEneaney and Father Donald J. Kettler, in December of 1993, came to Rome after their sabbatical in the Holy Land. We met Mother Teresa one evening before Christmas. Monsignor Aloysius R. Callaghan, the current Rector of St. Paul Seminary, was also present.

I was present at her Beatification Mass on October 19, 2003 (Mission Sunday), celebrated by Pope John Paul II in Saint Peter's Square. She was beatified as "Mother Mary Teresa of Calcutta."

After her death, one of the Missionaries of Charity gave to me a Crucifix and Rosary that Mother Teresa had touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment