Thursday, March 19, 2015


J.M.J. The Universal Church exults daily in the memory of Saint Joseph but especially today on March 19th--the Solemnity of Saint Joseph.

It is often said that we know little information about Joseph and his life from Sacred Scripture. That assertion is clearly true.

But we can know something regarding this magnificent Saint. How? Not only by prayerfully meditating on the relevant passages in The Holy Bible but also by asking God Himself to teach us about this "just man" who is the Foster Father of Jesus, the chaste Husband of the Ever-Virgin Mary and the Patron of the Universal Church.

God wants to instruct us in the ways of Joseph's faith, perseverance, purity and loyalty.

The "Litany of Saint Joseph" is an excellent place to begin. The vivid titles convey so much meaning and truth. One of my favorite appellations from the Litany is "Terror of Demons."

Satan and his cohort of fallen angels had no success in seducing Joseph. He checked his temper, he refrained from idle speech and he was righteous in his dealings with his neighbors. Because Joseph was close to the compassionate Almighty, he was enabled to overcome the vicious onslaught of Lucifer and his vindictive companions.

Those who turn to Saint Joseph for his powerful intercession and good example do much to keep Satan and the other wholly corrupt devils at bay. In this sense, Joseph is the Terror of Demons because when the friends of Jesus avail themselves of his salutary influence, Saint Joseph is for them a sure protection against the oppressive wiles of the Prince of Darkness.

There are numerous prayers to Saint Joseph. What follows is the "Consecration to Saint Joseph."


O Blessed Saint Joseph!
I consecrate myself to thy honor, and give myself to thee, that thou mayest be always my father, my protector, and my guide to the way of salvation.
Obtain for me a great purity of heart and a fervent love of the interior life.
After thy example, may I perform all my actions for the greater glory of God, in union with the Divine Heart of Jesus, and the Immaculate Heart of Mary!
And do thou, O Blessed Joseph, pray for me, that I may experience the peace and joy of thy holy death. Amen.
Sweet Heart of Mary, be my salvation!
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul.
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I love you: save souls!
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, assist me in my last agony.
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, may I breathe forth my soul in peace with you. 
Amen.


With Saint Joseph as our help, we may confidently approach the Risen Lord Jesus Christ through Blessed Mary and realize that our humble efforts--poor as they are--will please our merciful God.

Saint Joseph, Terror of Demons, pray for us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment